Life’s been so hectic since July that I’ve been just been cooking by rote and not thinking so much about it. But things are starting to settle down so I will try to post more!
Here’s our current fave to get back into the swing of things
party party party sausage rolls
You will need:
250 g beef mince
250 g pork or sausage mince
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 small zucchini, grated
Breadcrumbs made from two pieces of stale bread
1/4 c tomato sauce
1 tbsp BBQ sauce
3 sheets puff pastry, slightly thawed
1 egg, extra, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 190C. Grease a baking tray
2. In a bowl, mix together all ingredients except the pastry and extra egg. It works best if you use your hands!
3. Cut each piece of pastry in half long ways so you have 6 pieces of pastry
4. In the middle, parallel to the long side of the pastry, place your mince mixture, shaped as a log.
5. Roll pastry up. The edges must overlap, so you get a long thin sausage roll. Cut into 6 or 8 pieces and place on baking tray. Repeat til everything is used up.
6. Brush the tops of your mini sausage rolls with the beaten egg. Place in oven for 20-25 mins or until golden.
Nb. Low fat pastry doesn’t cook as nicely as regular pastry, and also falls apart a bit, as my photo shows!